« Home | A Spriritually Sanctified Evening » | Modern day Requiem to free speech » | CREATION: A Sioux Story » | I've changed my minds again » | Self-editing in a toxic way » | Convergence? » | Tell me this is more than sheer coincidence » | BAT- In a Nutshell » | What's in a word » | Time in a bottle »

Who is truly the most powerful person in the world??


It sure ain't this guy! Friends, I think, as we sit here on the eve of the next State of the Union Address, it's time for all of us to re-visit and re-think that famous dictum, "You're either with me or you're against me". There ARE other choices!

I watched Saddam just get up and walk out of his trial yesterday, screaming at the judge as he did so, and all the time I wondered, "How the hell could he just do that?!!". Is this the "new" model of democracy they're building? Then I watched a press conference with George Bush when a malfunctioning overhead camera dangled in front of his face for awhile, and he had a scared/perplexed kind of look on his face that said "why aren't my secret service guys making minced meat of that damned thing with their AK45's; it might be a weapon of mass destruction, after all?"


And remember the time he "pardoned" the turkey [I'll not get into the irony of death row politics for human beings here], and the instant thanks he got for doing it?

Seems even the animal kingdom knows theres something 'fowl' with what's happening in our world today!



In fairness to Bush's single-minded focus, though, in spite of everything happening around him, I must begrudgingly give him credit, as it seems he's still able to get up each and every morning and have the balls for breakfast.....



...never knowing if he'll end up having egg on his face again by the time he goes to bed that night.





But, hey, I'm not one to be a total critic or pessimist. Like it says in the header of my blog, you gotta see an issue from both ends at the same time. If there's ever been a more critical time, we must now all follow the yellow brick road and find our collective tin man's brain....

....so we can also, all together, give ourselves a whole new shot of reality. Let's have all the kids (who will be inheriting this world from us one day soon, after all) shout out in unison, "the emperor has no clothes", while the rest of us, altogether, lean out our windows and scream at the top of our lungs, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!!"


C'mon. Reality check time here, folks. There really is a gigantic clock ticking away and it's getting pretty damn loud. Truth is, there's simply way too much power in the hands of the very few. What ever happened to the "everything I needed to know I learned in kindergarten" philosophy?

My suggestion? Honour our current political power-holders for their efforts, and revert back to what was intended at the very outset...a democracy ..."of the people, by the people, for the people". So, we do it the way it was intended; we entrust the political leaders with the awesome responsibility of having the authority to represent; but retain the true power of a democracy in the hands of each and every individual citizen.


I'm not through yet! Still thinking outside the triangle, let's allow the kids to be the transition team for our current politicians. Let the kids ease them back into the world outside the fairy-tale power-land they currently live in (and we've allowed, almost by default, to create and defend) by re-teaching them the true priorities of life.





As when Rodney King plaintively asked: "Why can't we all just get along?".





As when Martin Luther King chilled us all to the bone, engraving forever in our collective conscience those simple but demanding words: "I have a dream that some day....!".

That day must come.
It just must.....
Soon....
Now.








As Ghandi so obviously pointed out, "An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world would be blind."













Seriously, and gravely: who says you can't negotiate, can't find another way? I'm not being simplistic here, by just saying "Turn the other cheek." More of the same, though, is going to bankrupt the world in many more ways than one. "The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend".

We MUST stop and ask: "What the hell is happening in our world?"

But, much, much more critically, we must stop just asking.
We MUST start answering.

Today.
Now.

Here's the only answer that's going to work,
and the only people who can make it happen.


US.....you.....me.....her....him.....them.....US.
Separately, and together.
NOW





  • I'm Evydense
  • From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
  • And I'm tired of living in the shadow of narrow-mindedness and ignorance. So here's the fax, Jack! "The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred and sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision." - Lynne Lavner*** I'm confused; curious; satisfied; realistically resigned to being a frustrated idealist; usually at peace with myself, but not always. Amazed at how little I know, and wondering how much I need to understand.
More of Me