« Home | Spam » | Gratitude » | Happy Independence Day! » | Picture story, Part 2 » | A Story In Pictures » | Midnight For Cinderella » | Local Bias and Civic Pride » | Helping Neighbours » | Global Warming » | Another Point Of View re: Baghdad »

Yesterday's Spam Is Today's Chicken

We can see a thousand miracles around us every day. What is more supernatural than an egg yolk turning into a chicken?” - S. Parkes Cadman



From the category "I can't believe I'm doing this", here is:


Poulet Vallee D'Auge


Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Serves: 4

1 chicken (3 pounds), cut up
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons butter
2 large. tart apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup Calvados or applejack
1 cup heavy cream

1. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.

2. Add apples and onions to pan. Cook until onion is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Return chicken to pan. Add Calvados, reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook 20 minutes. Stir in cream and cook, covered, 10 minutes longer, until chicken is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Enjoy!!




....and if that one doesn't grab your fancy, how about:

Southern Cracker-Fried Chicken


Prep time: 15 minutes Cook: 20 minutes Serves:4

(This is really two recipes in one depending on the type of crackers you use. Both produce a lighter crust and a distinctively different flavour from flour. To pulverize the crackers, use a food processor to save time. But there is something wonderfully tactile --- and soothing --- about crushing them by hand. The same sort of serenity that you get when you dig your hands in fresh garden dirt on a warm spring morning; that kind of soothing.)

1/3 cup buttermilk
30 Saltines or Ritz-style crackers, pulverized in a food processor or by hand
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 pounds chicken drumsticks, thighs, or breasts
1 cup lard or vegetable oil

1. Place buttermilk in a shallow dish. Combine crackers, garlic powder, sage, salt, and pepper in a plastic bag, and shake to mix thoroughly. Dip chicken pieces in buttermilk. Place one or two pieces at a time in bag; shake to coat.

2. In a large deep frying pan, melt lard over medium-high heat to 375 degrees. Add chicken pieces and cook, turning frequently, until brown and crispy, about 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels before serving.

There ya go!!

(I'm a chicken-a-holic, BTW!!)

PEACE.



That second recipe is actually something I intend to try out this weekend (I know, I know...fried food will go straight to my ass and stomach, but the Haagen-Daas needs a friend, you know?)

The first one though... You had me until the "heavy cream." I am deathly afraid of any food in a cream sauce...I don't eat white food unless it is vanilla ice cream.

Just (another) one of my quirks.

Dirk: Hi...and thanks for stopping by, I'm honoured! I'll have to try this recipe thing again if people actually use 'em!

That white sauce thing is a tad bizarre, though...really, afraid?! It has nothing to do with the flavour, huh, just the colour? Try adding some food colouring maybe!

I haven't tried the second one with Ritz crackers yet...must do.

Let me know how it turns out. Cheers!

Post a Comment


  • I'm Evydense
  • From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
  • And I'm tired of living in the shadow of narrow-mindedness and ignorance. So here's the fax, Jack! "The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred and sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision." - Lynne Lavner*** I'm confused; curious; satisfied; realistically resigned to being a frustrated idealist; usually at peace with myself, but not always. Amazed at how little I know, and wondering how much I need to understand.
More of Me