« Home | I Don't Know What To Call This One » | Curiosity » | ...And Now For The Rest Of The Story. » | More To Come.... » | Well..... » | Have You Ever Had One of Those Days......? » | If It Wasn't So Aggravating, It Actually Might Be ... » | PISS ON THIS (AND THAT "IS" SHOUTING!!!! » | Fru » | Tomorrow »

The Courage To Be Kind

"'Tisn't life that matters! 'Tis the courage you bring to it. " - Hugh Walpole Sr.

" The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention. " - anon

" Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone, Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own." - Adam Lindsay Gordon

[Blogger won't let me upload images tonight, so you go without my cool leaf divider...sorry folks!]


Give me....them....somebody the courage to be kind.

That poor man who just got on the subway is so shabby, so talkative, so obviously confused. He doesn't know where to get off, but the woman he asked just gave him a cold stare and pointedly moved away. The man on the other side of him has turned his back.

Nobody will help him, and my heart hurts. It hurts so for him, but it's pounding for me too. I don't want to be conspicuous ---- to have them stare coldly at me. But I know where he wants to go, and I can't stand it any longer. Please give me the courage to lean across the aisle, force a smile and signal with my lips and my fingers: "Three more stops."

And now, give me even more courage, for he has lurched over to my side. He wants to talk ---- talk in a loud, eager voice about the job he's going to apply for and why it's important that he get there on time.

Yes, yes, he's been drinking, and he probably won't get it, poor guy. But thank you that I'm able to listen, to offer a little encouragement and to see that he doesn't miss his stop.

Thank you for his grateful handclasp at parting, his smile from the platform, his jaunty yet wistful wave. Thank you that I no longer care what the other passengers think, because my conscience is at rest and my heart is warm.

Please help him and bless him. And thank you for giving me the simple courage to be kind.


excerpted from a book titled "Hold Me Up A Little Longer, Lord" by Marjorie Holmes.

PEACE.



I wish more people in this world had that ability to not care what the rest of the world thinks and just do what they feel is right.

Side note: For you leafy divider pix... here's what you should be able to do. Go into an old post where you have the "image" uploaded. Go into the html and copy all the code for that image. Then paste it into a notepad document. Any time you need to insert it, add the code. I've not tried it with the new blogger, but it worked this way before. Hope this helps.

That is beautiful! Let's hope that we can all take the time to listen to someone, smile, and let them know they matter.
They say the true strength of a person is to be kind and compassionate to someone who can't benefit you in any way.
Thanks for reminding us to be kind today.

MW: I wish the same thing, but in the same breath I must admit I am probably more guilty than most by allowing "the opinion of others" guide my actions. It's a habit I wish I could break!

Matty: I'm so glad you found my site! Your comments are positive and inspiring. Thank you!

Beautiful.

Even though I am highly regarded as a heartless...fella, I must admit I am a bit of a softie. Especially with folks others tend to be cruel too.

(And look at Blogger allowing me to comment again -- must be good karma coming my way at long last.)

Hey Rick!!!!
Hope all is well with you.
Miss seeing you around here!

HI RICK!!!! I am home!! Did you get my email??? It was so special to get to meet you! I hope all is well with you!! Hugs!

Heeellllooooo??????
Come on Bloggy friend....where are you?

Post a Comment


  • I'm Evydense
  • From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
  • And I'm tired of living in the shadow of narrow-mindedness and ignorance. So here's the fax, Jack! "The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and three hundred and sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision." - Lynne Lavner*** I'm confused; curious; satisfied; realistically resigned to being a frustrated idealist; usually at peace with myself, but not always. Amazed at how little I know, and wondering how much I need to understand.
More of Me